Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lovely Smells: Simmer Pot

Simmer pots are something I like to get going in winter.  In Sydney it can be incredibly dry (yes, there is a torrential downpour outside right now which has been going since November, but it CAN be dry, especially when El Nino pays a visit, rather than his sister La Nina) and simmer pots are a good way to humidify the air.

I've got the instructions for stove-top simmer pots below, but I usually leave mine sitting on the wood-burning stove.

Basically as simmer pot is a pot of water on the stove, into which you place lovely smelly things.
Lovely smelly things:
Lavender, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise
 Place smelly things into a saucepan of boiling water (spot my obvious mistake)
It didn't make much of a difference
Bring water to a boil then reduce to a very low simmer, smell will permeate house beautifully.

Replenish water regularly - it stinks if it boils dry (don't ask how I know that). And if you leave it on your wood-burning stove for an extended period without boiling it might begin to ferment (don't ask how I know that either).
Making lovely smells
The smell lingers for a couple of days, and is wonderful for making the house feel warm, welcoming and content.

Good recipes include...
Recipe #1
Cinnamon sticks
Apple peels
Orange rinds
Whole cloves
Recipe #2
Peel from 1 lemon
Peel from 1 orange
2 bay leaves
3 cinnamon sticks
2 Tablespoons whole cloves
Recipe #3
A few drops vanilla
Orange peels
Recipe #4 (the one I used)
1 cup dried lavender
1 tsp anise
1 Tablespoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
1 Cinnamon stick
Recipe #5
5 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon

Of course, if this all seems horribly wasteful to you, make a batch of Mulled Wine - it smells sensational too :)

2 people love me:

Maxabella said...

Now I'm going to have to go back and read all of your other lovely smells posts! This is lovely! x

Alison said...

Scent is my favourite way of bringing order to chaos also. I love garden fresh roses and vanilla. Am off to pop a pot on the stove now! Thanks