Saturday, March 31, 2007

Scandinavian Easter

As you know I love a tradition, so with Easter nearly upon us I'm going into overdrive.

I had vast ambitions for Chocolate Simnel cakes, hot-cross-bun loaves - my buns always end up like small pieces of lead, but if I combine it all into one loaf, it is totally edible! Making eggs with the kids and whatnot.

But then I came across an article on Easter in Scandinavia. With the following list of culinary delights...
  • a variety of herrings, including sild (raw herrings in a spicy sauce made from vinegar and onions);
  • boiled eggs;
  • fish dishes, such as smoked salmon with dill, and lutefisk (rehydrated dried salt cod);
  • roast ham;
  • Jansson's Temptation (sliced potatoes baked with anchovies and cream),
  • and a selection of cheeses - all accompanied by white, rye and crisp bread, as well as beer and schnapps.
Mmmm. Herrings!

But seriously though. I can do smoked salmon, baked ham, baked potato and cheese.

And I'm planning some egg-dying with the kids!

0 people love me: