Civilisation I have missed you.
On Sunday it's my 40th Birthday. 1st January. Oh yes indeedy.
I bid my thirties farewell without much regret - though I do miss my early thirties pre-babies flat tummy (miss you xxx). I'm looking forward to my forties, I think its going to be an awesome time for me and my little family.
Over the last few months I've been mulling over how to kick off this next decade. Hubs and I have discussed a few ideas...
- Party - great except I'm an anti-social introvert
- Dinner somewhere nice - great except I like to be in bed by 8pm
- Holiday - great except travel makes me constipated - which would be a terrible state to start my 40s in
Oh I kid. Any of those would be utterly wonderful and I'd love them, but hubs's work contract has just ended and we're hoarding the pennies.
So I got to thinking about celebrating my 40th in a meaningful way without spending much money (or none at all). And that led me to thinking about the things that fill me with joy, and then I realised that those things don't cost anything anyway!
I ended up with this list
And my plan to celebrate my 4th decade (5th!! its my 5th decade, ahem, thanks Jennie :)) on the planet is going to go something like this...
- Walk - a dawn walk on Long Reef Beach with my family watching the sun rise up out of the ocean, we'll bring breakfast with us and thermos of tea. Perfect. Also rain is my favourite beach weather, so I don't mind what the weather is.
- Cook - a feast at home. Huge bowl of prawns with homemade mayo and a cold beer - something fun that doesn't take hours
- Give - I love to give and I love to knit. So over the year I'm going to knit 40 of my world famous dishcloths and give them away - via the blog, watch this space! (On the subject of giveaways, a book voucher giveaway is starting here tomorrow - shhh, its a surprise)
- Learn - I'm starting Embroiderer's Guild courses this year
- Grow - you all know I love my garden. So I'll be planting an avocado tree and watching hubs turn the front garden into a space that fills me with delight.
I just cannot wait :)