Last Thursday night I was honoured to do the end of year talk at the Hawkesbury River Writers Group. I promised those good folk I'd fling a quick summary up on the blog, and add links to various websites I'd mentioned.
So here it is...
- With the changes in the traditional print industry (ie move to author self promotion), and the explosion of the e-industry the ‘unpublished’ stage of an authors career is now a vital part of their success – it is not a rite of passage, or something to be endured until ‘your ship comes in’. It is a busy, active time where you can establish yourself.
- Am talking about published and unpublished as if there is a line, or a hill, or everest in between the two. These days there is not. If any one of you chose to, you could be published by tomorrow night. I don’t recommend you jump in blind, but its there for the taking.
- E-publishing or self publishing is huge. With the massive popularity of kindle and other e-readers, millions have access to self-published e-books. There is cult-y following, and agents and editors alike are scouring sites like Smashwords to find new talent.
- Fortunes are being made – Joe Konrath (has must-read publishing blog, which has info for any writer, self pubbed or not), Amanda Hocking
- Amazon’s new imprints are going to be massive and industry changing
- The unpublished part of your career is absolutely vital –
- establish yourself,
- make connections,
- get your voice out there, ie have a presence online, so that agents and editors can find you
- learn, about marketing, advertising, self-promotion
Any questions, email me... caitlyn . nicholas @ gmail . com
Good luck to all :)