Friday, March 07, 2008

GITB (that's Girls in the Basement)

What's working for me on the Girls in the Basement course.

1. Mindfulness - Barbara talks a lot about mindfulness. This is being in the moment. Not being distracted, and thinking about other things, but just listening to your own breathing and taking in everything around you. Just simply taking a breath has helped me a hundred times this week. What with the stresses of work, and the stresses of the Small Screamies I feel like my mind is going a million miles a minute every second of every day (oh how I love a cliche!) But I just take a breath, let the tension go, and suddenly life seems more manageable.

2. Doing one thing at one time - this has been a challenge. I always spend my time hurtling from one task to the next. Its ridiculous. I'll be going to put on the washing, but then decide to strip the kids beds, but then see clothes on their floor, so pick them up, then I put toys away, then the bathroom needs a tidy, then someone wants a drink etc... until they go to bed and then I realise the washing machine is still half full with its door open. I'm just as bad at the computer. I was writing this afternoon, and caught myself absently flicking to internet or email fifteen times in half an hour. I wasn't even realising that I was doing it. But now that I am, I'm feeling SO much more focussed, and getting more done AND feeling more in control.

3. Artists date - an artists date is when you get out of the house and do something, just go to the beach, but go by yourself, no distractions, no company, and simply experience it. I was horrified. Go somewhere? By myself? For no good reason? Not even taking writing to do? Nah. Can't. But then it occured to me that I now have monday's to myself (yes it occurred as in it wasn't immediatly obvious - sigh). So next Monday I am off on an Artist's date. Actually I'm planning on sitting at the end of the street and soaking in the view for an hour or so.

Given that this is the view from the end of my street, I think it'll do.

4. Readings - as I've mentioned before, there have been some excellent books recommended and I'm loving them (and trying to read them one at a time!) But I'll chat more about them later.

Whats not working for me
Surprisingly the whole Girls in the Basement concept isn't working for me. Its not so much the idea of a creative muse, or spiritual guide that I have difficulty with - I like the idea of a spiritual guide. But its the whole giving this guide an identity and personality that just doesn't sit well. I suspect its my sensible capricorn side coming out, or maybe a deep-seated fear of giving myself schizophrenia. But at this point I'm preferring to look more at the spiritual growth that is encapsulted in the course, rather than the creative muse concept.

4 people love me:

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Cait,
Just love the picture and I know that place. lol

Suz :)

Sami Lee said...

Oh I can so relate to your washing machine anecdote - the same thing happens to me regularly. It's worse when you actually do the load but forget to hang it out and the clothes go musty.

Come to think of it, I have a load to hang out now that's been sitting in the machine for a couple of hours...

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

My teenage son was using my laptop to print out some physics homework (why YES, he IS smart, thank you!) and I was reading your blog entry and was at the photo of the view from the end of your street. I walked in and he said "I don't know where this chick lives, but that's some view." Yep, we don't have anything like that here in Arlington, Texas. Not even close.

I am SO there with you about giving my "girls" names and personalities. I have procrastinated that assignment all week. I do have some ideas, but they are more aspects of MY personality, really, than muses. Or, maybe they are muses, I have no idea. Going to make myself sit down and write it tomorrow so I can start on this week's assignments.

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

My teenage son was using my laptop to print out some physics homework (why YES, he IS smart, thank you!) and I was reading your blog entry and was at the photo of the view from the end of your street. I walked in and he said "I don't know where this chick lives, but that's some view." Yep, we don't have anything like that here in Arlington, Texas. Not even close.

I am SO there with you about giving my "girls" names and personalities. I have procrastinated that assignment all week. I do have some ideas, but they are more aspects of MY personality, really, than muses. Or, maybe they are muses, I have no idea. Going to make myself sit down and write it tomorrow so I can start on this week's assignments.