Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Victorian Fires

We're all watching helpless and appalled as the number of fatalities from the Victorian bushfires grows and grows. I woke up this morning and with dread turned on the computer to find the number at 173 and growing hourly. I think seeing Kevin Rudd, our prime minister, on television last night close to tears and lost for words summed up the feelings of all Australians.

I put the post below up on Sunday afternoon, saying where people could go to help. If the list on that web page of offers of help was not proof enough of the Aussie spirit, then I was stunned that my web-stats went through the roof. Literally hundreds of people googling how to help out, wanting to help. The Red Cross has been swamped by people giving blood, and in just six hours yesterday morning the Australian people gave $6million. Its cold comfort, I know, but comfort nonetheless.

I am an experienced fighter of bushfires. I've lived through four, two of which were very close calls and one in particular was a firestorm which trapped me and my entire extended family at our property west of Sydney one Christmas. I can relate only too well to what the people in Victoria are going through. My thoughts are with them.

2 people love me:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog.
Portugal

http://abebedorespgondufo.blog said...

I like your blog.
Portugal