Saturday, November 29, 2008

Fingers and Toes Crossed for Ella

There's a lot of shit going on in the world right now. I'm checking the news regularly to see if there is any news of the 37 Aussies missing in Mumbai, vowing never to travel on an A380 plane as nobody seems to be able to maintain them so that they can fly safely, checking the pool gate is firmly shut every time I think of the twin toddlers up in Gosford... Last week my parents lost a friend to prostate cancer...

I know that horrible, terrible things are happening to ordinary nice people. But this morning I woke up to a very sick puppy. Our dog Ella, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, had picked up a paralysis tick. She could barely walk, couldn't blink, was vomiting and having difficulty breathing - clearly in a really bad state. But you know, she could still wag her tail - which is so Ella. She's the cheeriest little soul and no matter how shit everything is she's still upbeat.

So I rushed Ella to the vet, they found the paralysis tick on a back leg and have begun the tick treatment. Cavaliers have a harder time with ticks than other types of dogs, because of their pushed in nose (so the vet tells me), but Ella is very healthy with a good heart, liver and kidneys so she's got the best chance she could have. On the way to the vet, Staying Alive (by John Travolta) came on the radio and I have taken that as a sign she's going to be just fine!

I still want to cry though.

0 people love me: