Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mary - Jane

Mary-Jane and I used to have offices opposite to one another. If it wasn't for that I don't think we'd ever have got to know each other. She'd wander past and would stop in for a discussion. Mary-Jane had excellent discussions.

She as the sort of person who beleived in things. Really beleived in them. Put her money where her mouth was, and went out there to fight for them. Equal opportunities for woman was her major passion, but that was just the tip of the iceberg. Equality for everyone, the environment... she was passionate about it all.

She loved politics, though I can clearly remember her utter horror when she was nearly elected to local government - she'd run just for the experience - never expecting she'd actually get anywhere. I reckon she was planning a move into that arena down the track. She'd have been good too - the one characteristic that outshone all the others was her integrity.

She influenced me alot, she showed me that it way okay to stand up and fight for what I was entitled for. When I commenced world war three with my workplace over my maternity leave she supported me all the way.

Mary-Jane died on Friday. She'd been treated for melanoma but the cancer spread to her liver and in the end it only took a few weeks. I still cannot beleive she is gone. She was only a few years older than me and had so much more to give.

Bloody Hell.

I'll miss her.

0 people love me: