Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tuckshop Duty

OMG. OH. MY. GOD.  Just got home from tuck shop duty at the screamies new school. Five hours. No breaks. No sitting down. Argh. Totally and utterly knackered AND my ankles are more gigantic than when I was eleven months pregnant with Miss 5. Today I learned that working in retail is not my thing (why oh WHY did I keep getting the cute kids with the big eyes who didn't have enough money for anything except for liquorice, and then started going "but pweeese can I have something else?" as those innocent blue eyes filled with tears).

Today I also learned that working in food service is so not my thing. Well, after my career change to be a chef crashed and burned, I kind of knew that anyway.  But that was all twenty years ago, and now I remember exactly why it crashed and burned - I couldn't even slice the feta to the correct dimensions, and who knew you had to chop lettuce, WHO KNEW?

I signed hubby up for dads day on tuckshop duty, just so he can see for himself - I just don't think its fair I should have all the fun.

The kids are totally knackered from all this school business, and yet, on a day when I am feeling like I've been smacked in the head, Miss 4 still finds boundless energy to scream the supermarket down. Bless her. Its a miracle really, when you think about it.

And speaking of miracles, I'm fielding God questions non stop at the moment.  Well, actually Miss 5 thinks He is called Dog and Miss 4 thinks He is an invisible pretend person who we sing songs too.  Fair enough.  I'm with Miss 4 mostly.  But I think I'll let their religion teacher explain properly.

They are also wondering

  • Did the dinosaurs really die out and if so why?
  • Can we drive on the rumble strips again?
  • Why is there traffic?
  • Where do the chicken's eggs come from?
  • Why isn't the weekend a holiday?
  • Can we have pizza?
  • Can we have pizza?
  • Can we have pizza?
sigh.

17 people love me:

Madmother said...

Can I have pizza too? Oh, that's right, I still have to cook it, damnit!

And the dinosaurs got stinked, didn't you know? ;-)

greenfumb said...

OMG - I did tuckshop once when my kids were little and some bossy cow kept telling us we were putting too much on the sarnies, not doing the bags right blah blah blah and I have never done it since. It is worth having a job just to be able to say NO to tuckshop duty.

Uniform Shop was almost as bad though, North Shore mothers can be incredibly rude and arrogant, they seemed to forget we were doing it for nothing in our own time.

belinda said...

Wow,
Tuck shop duty sounds like torture. How many times you get to have this fun in a year?

Good Luck with question arena. Sounds like Miss 4 is an astute little being.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Being Me said...

Isn't the answer to every question simply "Poo"? Or is that soooo 3.5?

Now go rest those weary cankles, you poor love!

Unknown said...

LOL Madmother. Thx for letting me know, shall pass on dino info next time I get asked (which will be tomorrow).

Know what you mean about NS Mums. You should see the frickin car park at picking up time. I mean if you are driving a massive 4wd Audi thing in an enclosed small area with loads of very small children about you'd have thought that speeding out of there at 6okms was a bad idea - but do they give a shit??

Belinda I volunteered to do it monthly. Something that I now regret somewhat and already working on excuses to get out of it for at least six months.

Am presently resting cankles, ignoring bickering family, and catching up on commenting on blogs Being Me :) Have been most remiss of late as Drive rewrites are all consuming.

When I mention poo Miss 4 whats to know what it is made of? Exactly where it comes from and how it got there? And why it smells? I try to avoid poo conversations at all costs. I find them unsettling. :)

Kellyansapansa said...

You volunteered? What on earth were you thinking? Do you at least get staff discount?

Lyndel said...

My kids think God is some kind of wizard, roll on scripture lessons!!

Unknown said...

HAH, Staff discount. Nope. Surreptitiously nibbled some feta though :)

And I volunteered in a fit of 'supporting my children in their new school and being a part of the community' and all that shit. I regret it. I knew I would. I hate leaving the house ffs, am beyond socially inept with adults and usually make children cry when I try to be friendly. I should've covered books in the library. SIGH.

greenfumb said...

Don't get me started on the Audi 4WDs, we live next door to the school and sometimes the whole street is lined with them, 90% of them live within spitting distance FFS. One day this week I pulled in to let someone come the other way and two of the morons OVERTOOK ME even though I was indicating right to turn into my own driveway!@*!

Wish I had one of those things that American cops have that you throw in the road in front of speeding criminals that pops all their tyres.

Unknown said...

LOL Lyn!

Unknown said...

Yeah, Greenfumb or a bazooka - or even a Starship Enterprise so you could pew, pew, pew them. I often think about heat-seeking weaponry on the F3. I mean if a Prius had anti-tank missiles I'd buy one for sure.

:)

Being Me said...

LMFAO at your Miss 4. No flies on her. Only on the poo with which they are so fascinated.

Eww. Sorry to anyone having dinner. It's just a topic that factors in every second conversation in this house lately so I tend to bandy it about freely. Well... not literally. Ok. Going before I'm not allowed back.

A Slave Journal said...

in France you are not allowed to cut lettuce, it's "tres gauche".

a throw back to the days where cutlery was made out of something that rusted from the vinger in the vinaigrette... apparently.

true story.

you would have conquered the french food and beverage service industry :)

Quixotic said...

lol - GG asked me today "Why does it storm?" and I was utterly stumped. Really shoulda paid attention on Grade 4. :o)
BTW - tried to order your books at the local library - no dice, where can I get them?

Moragg said...

The dinosaurs were placed there by the invisible pretend person to test people's belief in him/her.

Hell yes, rumble strips are heaps of fun!

Because none of you want to walk to school.

From the chicken's 'bum' area... but I have never followed biology so that could be totally wrong.

Because otherwise you'd have weekly essays to write- 'what I did on the weekend'

No. You cannot have pizza. If you'd asked once, I may have thought about it. But now you've annoyed me. So, no. mwahahaha.

life and the memoirs said...

It took me awhile, I have learnt the hard way, the painful way, kinder and school parent duty, are just outright plain hard work! Totally exhausting in fact. I hear you loud and clear. What possesses us to volunteer our time, our 'free' time? It is a little voice inside our head that tells us we should help out, the kids will love us being there, getting our hands dirty, spending time in their environment. I love how they get a real buzz out of mum being on duty, but sometimes (usually in fact) it is so full on! Recovery doesn't take too long :)

Moragg said...

The dinosaurs were placed there by the invisible pretend person to test people's belief in him/her.

Hell yes, rumble strips are heaps of fun!

Because none of you want to walk to school.

From the chicken's 'bum' area... but I have never followed biology so that could be totally wrong.

Because otherwise you'd have weekly essays to write- 'what I did on the weekend'

No. You cannot have pizza. If you'd asked once, I may have thought about it. But now you've annoyed me. So, no. mwahahaha.