Monday, January 25, 2010

School jitters

I'm tired.  Had four hours sleep. Why?  Well, actually I was really excited about planting out my strawberries.  And sadly, so, so incredibly sadly, that is the honest truth.

After a long long day which included dealing with 20kgs of tomatoes, planting - yes you guessed it - strawberries, snow peas, bean and some spuds AND facing Coles at peak holiday panic shopping time. I am now slumped in front of Shaun the Sheep and tucking into a litre of Honeycomb Butterscotch ice-cream.

Oddly, very extremely oddly I find myself a bit gloomy and in need of comfort food this evening.  Despite counting the days to the end of the holidays and finding the last week utterly exhausting, the thought of my little girls going off to a new school, Miss 5 in kindergarten and Miss 4 at a new pre-school every day, makes my heart heavy.  I guess I'm worried about them settling in, and being okay, and its such a big school and they are both so very little.

I am looking forward to the school years, I think what lies ahead is going to be such fun, and a time when I find a contentment that has eluded me somewhat during the baby years.  But my heart is still aching. I hope our girls are going to be okay.

6 people love me:

Sande said...

Know that feeling well. Love having my kids around me.

Quixotic said...

hehe - I'm fantasising about having school aged kids atm!! But I think I will be heartbroken when the time actually comes for GG to trot off to big school :o(

Bron said...

Yep, soooo relating to that one...yesterday I got His Maj to try on his school uniforms and he looked so grown up!
I know he'll be just fine at school and I'm looking forward to him going...I'm more worried about the "lost" feelings I'm bound to feel :(

Being Me said...

You have phrased the contentment you feel that has eluded you in the 'baby years' so well. It is exactly the place I am heading towards too, I can feel it.

It feels like a long way away until our girl starts school (2012, 4yo kindy next year) and yet, I am reminded again to relish each day she is at home and I get to just be around her.

life and the memoirs said...

Hi Caitlyn, just found you in the land of blog and am now a 'follower'!
When my boys were of pre-school age I longed for them to 'be at school', my youngest shall start his school journey next Tuesday, I'm now wondering why I was so keen for him to get to school. I'm definitely going to miss him being around me, he'll be ok though, he is so excited to be joining his big brother and school yard fun :)

Unknown said...

Hi Life&Memories, wellcome :) I followed you back :). I love making blogging buddies.