I had been ignoring the threadbare patch just above the hem for a week or so. This uniform has already done Miss 7 for a year and I wasn't surprised it was starting to fall apart. But I was thinking that if I didn't look directly at it, then it might just make it through to the end of term.
Amazingly, I was wrong.
The very next day Miss 5 arrived home safety pinned into her uniform - the entire front hem had been torn off in a dubious incident that took place during recess away from prying adult eyes.
With a bit of snipping and sewing, I managed to use the excess material in the hem to tidy it all up. Only then to notice the part that used to be the bottom edge of the dress was worn through as well. Quick trip to Hornsby and some black interfacing later and we ended up with this...
|Reinforcing the other threadbare bits|
|Final result - it'll do|